Dalicourt Guillory, son of Jean Baptiste Guillory and Adelie Ortego, married to Clementine Guillory, filed his claim for homestead on 20 May 1862, and received his homestead certificate on 4 May 1885, for 82.72 acres in L'Anse Grise. The property is described in certificate no. 1658 (Application No. 5136), as being the "North Half of the Southeast Quarter of Section 12, in Township 4 South, of Range 1 West." To get to this property one should turn west from highway 13 on A. J. Lane, down 1/4 mile, then turn right, down 1/4 mile. At that 1/4 mile spot is the southeast corner of the property, extending north for a quarter mile, and a dept of 1/2 mile towards the west. The property is just north of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sherman Chapman. Twenty acres of the southern end of this piece was later sold to on Olide Guillory.
On 3 July 1890, Dalicourt acquired, by cash sale, another 41.36 acres, apparently from the United States, as recorded on certificate no. 13280. Description of the property is, "the Southwest Quarter of the Northeast Quarter of Section 12, in Township 4 South, Range 1 West." This property is located next to, and north of the western end of the above property. It appears that he later sold this property to one Joseph Guillory. It is not known when the transactions took place, but, by the 1920's Dalicourt apparently owned 240 acres in Section 12 and 40 acres in Section 2, immediately north of Section 12. Property owned by Sherman Chapman, where his home now is, and property now owned by Larry Hollier, are among those properties. Research is on-going on this early settler.
Return to: Some Early Pioneers of L'Anse Grise
Return to Home Page